Look, I’m not trying to be an alarmist, but this, from John Podesta, is the last thing we need around here: advice on how Big Guy can act more like a South American dictator. In his current state of mind, this is just a little too tempting.
"He needs to rise above the definition of the presidency as just being a skirmish between Republicans and you," said John D. Podesta, the president of the Center for American Progress and a former chief of staff to President Bill Clinton. "If he spends two years in the scrum with these guys, that's what they want. He's capable of doing things on his own without them."
Seriously, don’t those guys over at Center For American Progress read tea leaves? America has grown a bit weary of wandering around in the progressive forest for the time being.
Here’s a little bit that I excerpted from the Executive Summary:
The U.S. Constitution and the laws of our nation grant the president significant authority to make and
implement policy. These authorities can be used to ensure positive progress on many of the key issues
facing the country through:
• Executive orders
• Agency management
• Convening and creating public-private partnerships
• Commanding the armed forces
The ability of President Obama to accomplish important change through these powers should not be
The report continues to list specific ways these powers can be used. I’ve added some editorial comments, to further clarify Mr. Podesta’s recommendations to Big Guy.
• Reduce oil imports and make progress toward energy independence. ed. reduce supply of oil and replace with domestically generated “green” energy like corn, solar, windmills and mice on treadmills resulting in $10.00/gallon gas and higher inflation than we will get from “Quantitative easing” alone.
• Generate solar energy on U.S. Air Force hangar roofs. ed. See? I told you.
• Create a web portal to empower housing counselors, reduce burdens on lenders and speed up home mortgage
modifications. ed. create a portal that makes all of your private financial information available to the Federal government. This will allow a new bureaucracy of government employees to dictate the terms of loan modification to the banks who have customers in default, ensuring that you pick up the tab for those who were “twicked” into buying a home they could not afford.
• Focus on health care prevention in implementing the Affordable Care Act. ed. I think this means in order to make care affordable, the government will prevent health care treatments if it deems it non-cost-effective.
• Replace costly, inhumane immigration detention policies with equally effective measures. ed. Issue an executive order of Amnesty.
• Streamline and simplify access to federal antipoverty programs. ed. Create more victims, completely dependent on the government.
• Use new information technology for faster, more transparent freedom of information. ed. Create new systems that makes your personal information more transparent to your government.
• Collect data on lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender Americans in federal data surveys. ed. Oh great! This will come in handy when the Mooslims take over!
Oby, Rach, better run while you still can! What on earth are these Progressives thinking?